- Latin Name: Hippophae rhamnoides L.
- Origin: Russia
- Process: CO2 Total Extract
- Plant Part: Fruit pulp
- Cultivation: Certified Organic (NOP, USDA)
- Use: Body / Skin Care. Always dilute
- Aroma: Very subtle aroma, mildly sweet, tart and earthy.
- We recommend a maximum dilution of 0.5% for topical applications with cream, lotion.
- Caution:It may stain skin and clothing if used in high concentrations.
Sea Buckthorn CO2 total extract is an extremely gentle, carrot-colored oil with an aroma that is pleasantly subtle. It is rich in essential fatty acids and contains the antioxidant molecules vitamins A and E, as well as a high level of beta-carotene, giving it a deep red-orange color. Adding just a few drops of this oil per ounce gives a fantastic color to your formulas. Another component of the oil, palmitoleic acid (an Omega7), is a component of the skin and is considered valuable for topical use on damaged tissue.
The presence of carotenoids, linoleic and α-linoleic acids (Omegas 3 and Omega 6) in this product may benefit damaged skin after sun or heat exposure, while the emollient properties provide welcome relief. Sea Buckthorn CO2 may also be used topically for benefiting the hair: the name Hippophae means ‘shiny horse’, and refers to the good coats developed by horses feeding off the plant.